Saturday, September 13, 2014

Westworld shoot & monologues

I was still working on Westworld this past week and finally did my main scene late Thursday night. So, I'm now officially wrapped on the show. It has a great cast, headed by Evan Rachel Wood, Anthony Hopkins, and Ed Harris.

I've also found my co-host for the YouTube talk show I'm going to create! It's been a busy, but creative week, which is always good thing – not to mention that it means I can pay off a few bills.

A reader sent me the question of the week – Where do I find good monologues? Well, there are a lot of books that contain just monologues from plays (look at the Samuel French online catalog – there's a link on my blog page), or for movie monologues checkout this link to Colin's movie monologue page – it's free to use!

Colin's Movie Monologue Page

But, if you really want to be creative and stand out from the crowd, try writing your own monologue. I know that if you don't see yourself as a writer, you probably think you can't do it, but you probably can. Think about this:

What kind of character would show you off the best? Your talents, your personality, and your passion?

What kind of event would make you happy? Or sad? Or angry?

What would your character say to another person about that event?

Try recording yourself talking to another (imaginary) person about something that you feel strongly about.

Okay, after you've tried those things, maybe you don't feel it's worked – you're not happy or confident with what you created. Now what? If you're in a theatre company (and if you're not, why aren't you?), I bet there's some people in there that are also writers. Talk to them. When I was in a company, I wrote several monologues for people who asked me. It was good for my writing, and one of the monologues I created for an actor I ended up using in a play I wrote.

Not only will you get a unique monologue, but you might possibly make a good contact for the future.

The main point of creating your own monologue, or getting someone to write it for you, is that it's yours. When you're in front of a casting director, it's something they haven't heard a thousand times before, and you will have something that fits you and your talent.


Cheers,

Michael   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share a question or comment.