Tuesday, June 2, 2015

My film's in the theaters!

Hi Dear Readers,

It's been awhile since I last posted. I've been working on a post-production budget for my feature film, Night Tour," as well as writing some sketches for my friends and I to shoot for Funny or Die.

Last week I went with a friend to see the film I'm in - "Little Boy" - that's been playing in theaters around the U.S.




I'm Gilliam, the owner of the general store
Going to see the film

I had a few good scenes, but they also cut some of my stuff. And that happens to many actors, both unknown and known actors. There's all sorts of reasons why that happens: sometimes the film is simply too long and the filmmakers need to shorten it, or maybe it just drags during the subplot that you're in. Dropping a slow subplot is an easy way to cut a chunk of time from a film. It usually has very little to do with your acting, and more to do with the editing of the film.

A friend of mine - a very good actor with lots of television credits - was hired for a TV role a few months ago. After they shot it, the producers had to trim the show down to fit in a half-hour format (usually about 24 minutes). And, you guessed it, they had shot a bit too much and just chopped out my friend's scene.

Because of this, I'm usually careful of how many friends and relatives I tell about my new role. It can be embarrassing to have all your friends tuning in to see you, and you're not there! But that's the nature of the business - sometimes it happens. And it can happen in a TV show, a film, or a commercial. I usually wait until I've seen the TV show and then send a link if it's online somewhere - and most TV is online someplace. 


If it's a film, I might check it out on opening day and then tell my friends. Or, if you've been called in to do some ADR work after the film is shot, you can be pretty sure you're going to be in the final version.

Anyway, it was fun to see myself up on the big screen, because I've mostly been doing TV since my last film, "Priest."

Don't forget - if you have a question, feel free to write in the comments, or email me, and I'll get back to you with an answer. And thanks for reading this little blog - I do appreciate it.

Cheers,


Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share a question or comment.