Friday, January 17, 2014

What I'm doing while I wait for the phone to ring.

Well, I'm still waiting to hear whether I've booked the Disney show that has me on hold. In the meantime, I'm starting post-production on a sketch that a friend and I shot a few weeks back. I bring this up because it's a good example of the DIY philosophy (Do It Yourself).

What my friend Sally and I did was to come up with a simple idea for a comedy improv sketch - a daffy reporter interviewing an artist about whom she knows nothing. That was it. 

Then we sat down in front of the computer, turned on the built-in camera, and shot a 5 minute "interview." Because I didn't use my good camera with all the bells and whistles, I only had to click "record" on the computer and we were off and running. And because it was improvised, the whole thing took about 5 minutes to do. Now there will be some editing to get it down to a running time of about 2 or 3 minutes, and we're going to add an intro at the beginning and a "credit card" at the end. That will take a few more hours. 

And when we're done - up it goes onto YouTube and Funny or Die. I may have said this before, but it's worth repeating - we can't just sit around and wait to get an agent, or an audition, or a booking. If you have a love of performing, there are simple ways (like an improv sketch) to do it and get your work out to an audience. No, you probably won't make tons of money from a sketch on YouTube, but more and more casting directors and other people who hire actors, are looking at stuff that is online to find talent.

So go forth and create! And if you do, let me know and maybe we'll link to your work on this blog.

Cheers,


Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share a question or comment.